Friday, May 28, 2010

Coming soon.. Big Weekend

So a big BBQ weekend is quickly approaching and we are slowing putting our plans together. We're having some people over and will grill some ribs and make some baked beans. We have our friends bringing some pasta salad and chips and dips. Even have someone bringing the beer! But with all this, I am in a form of struggle. Dessert!
My husband, John, has a sudden extreme interest in dessert. Not just eating dessert, but he has this new found obsession with having a dessert that is interesting and people will be in pressed by. Now, I am definitely a cook. I can cook circles around a lot of people and if he wants something cooked with extra love, I'm the gal for the job. But desserts? Not exactly my forte. So, what will it be? Last BBQ, I made a trifle, layered with graham cracker crumbs, chocolate pudding, and homemade whipping cream. It was absolutely delicious. And to boot, everyone loved it and John was excited we had this beautiful looking dessert to serve everyone.


So now we're are at our next BBQ. Not just any BBQ, but the Memorial Day BBQ. And can you believe it? It's at our house. We've finally gotten a social life. But here I sit, sifting through recipe after recipe online for some great dessert that looks patriotic. Not only that, but John's a pretty picky eater. So to make some Blueberry and Strawberry dessert with whipped cream... wont work, he doesn't like those. He likes Cherries though, o maybe I can do something like this


This is a Cherry Trifle that I think I would also incorporate some whipped cream between the layers. Not only will it look pretty, it should taste pretty good too. Angel food cake, cherry pie filling, and homemade whipping cream will be brought together for a delightful and refreshing treat. Here's to keeping my fingers crossed.
As for tonight, some chicken enchilada's with some Mexican rice on the side. It's definitely going to be delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment